Please sign the petition below.
Dear DEC Commissioner Martens,
We call for New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation to reject Inergy Midstream‘s (now Crestwood) proposal to store Liquefied Petroleum Gas and expand natural gas storage at facilities on the shore of Seneca Lake in Reading, NY. The proposals threaten the health and well-being of residents throughout the region. Specifically:
- There has been almost no documentation of the project’s safety. Namely Inergy Midstream (now Crestwood) has failed to show that the toxic contents of the cavern will not migrate into groundwater or into Seneca Lake — a drinking water source for more than 100,000 people.
- The facility will release toxic air pollution, as will emissions from diesel trucks, putting the health of nearby residents at risk.
- Similar facilities have seen catastrophic accidents including storage cavern collapses and explosions such as in Hutchinson, KS and Mont Belvieu, TX.
- Accidents, explosions, spills, and other issues would pose devastating impacts to the region as a whole.
- The facility and associated heavy industrial activity will undermine our region’s tourism-based economy and property values.
- Inergy Midstream (now Crestwood) has a history of water quality violations at the site and has already had two brine spills.
- Inergy Midstream (now Crestwood) has performed grossly inadequate scientific reviews, and has refused to make public a critical study of the project’s safety.
These proposed projects threaten to jeopardize one of the largest sources of freshwater in the United States, threaten the health of countless residents, and threaten to devastate the vitality of the entire region. We stand with our NYS Senator Michael Nozzolio who has stated these risks in his letter to you. Commissioner Martens, do not put our homes, families, local economy, and one of our most treasured natural environments at risk. As a lifelong steward of New York and open spaces, do not jeopardize the destruction of Seneca Lake on your watch. Please protect us from this negligent corporation. Generations of New Yorkers will thank you for it.
Makes checks payable to:
Sustainable Markets Foundation (write GAS FREE SENECA on check memo line)
Mail Checks to:
GAS FREE SENECA
PO Box 333
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
*Please include your email address with any correspondence.