Call, tweet, and write to Governor Cuomo asking him to direct his DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos to deny the permit for LPG storage along Seneca Lake. If we do any one of the above on a regular basis it will make a BIG difference. Please reference Matter of Finger Lakes LPG Storage, LLC, DEC Permit Application ID No. 8-4432-00085. Call Gov. Cuomo during business hours: 518-474-8390 Tweet Gov. Cuomo any time:@NYGovCuomo Write Gov. Cuomo at:
The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
You can copy and personalize, and enter into your letter into the contact form on Governor Cuomo’s website: https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/governor-contact-form
Use any of the following talking points:
1. There is no need for the project. Crestwood already has a major propane terminal in Montgomery, NY and has permits to expand its Savona propane storage.
2. Dirty fossil fuel industrialization is incompatible with the community character of Finger Lakes Wine Country, which your administration has worked to support. Nearly 500 regional businesses and 32 municipalities within the region representing 1.2 Million NY voters are opposed to this ill-conceived plan. Please side with the communities, families and businesses in New York, not a Texas gas corporation.
3. Permitting gas industry infrastructure in NY flies in the face of your Renewable Energy Vision plan and your co-sponsorship of a multi-state climate change initiative.
4. A fault line bisects the caverns slated for gas storage, and the risks of storing gas in unlined salt caverns that were never engineered to store anything are far too great. Any accident would tarnish the Finger Lakes Brand that generations have worked hard to build.
5. Andrew Kozlowski, who signed off on the underground storage permit for the project, was never formerly appointed as the State Geologist. He was neither authorized nor qualified to sign the permit as the law requires.